Dr. Jeeeol

It is the start of a new chapter. Me, my husband, and our two boys want some babies!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I am addicted to school and don't know how to stop going (It's free). I am sooo ready to start a family with my husband and am counting down the days till it happens.I currently have two boys (age 7 and 4)who dance in backwards circles at the site of a leash.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

What a learning experience

Well, our NICU experince is coming to a close. Kaitlyn comes home on Monday- my birthday.
It has been an experience like no other.I can't tell you how much we learned. I now know about things such as apneias, bradycardias, CPAP. PDA, etc. Peoplewould often say to us us "oh it must be so hard to have to go to the NICU." The hardest part is the 25 min drive.People- let me tell you= the NICU flippin rocks. Of course the unfamiliar beeps are scary at 1st but the bonuses of it are amazing. For instance, I have had a dozen NICU nurses tell me all of their tips, show us their techniques for bathing, massage, burping, swaddling, etc. Then their are the free classes. They hook you up with the bottles for pumping. They have lactation consutants their all the time.You get to go home and heal from delivery. You have an awesome doctor call you daily with updates and to answer your questions (he should so have his own reality show). Surprisingly, it is going to be hard to not go their anymore. The most amazing part was the people. You see certain nurses each day and become really, really good friends with them. The people at the main desk know us so well- they ask about each kid by name, they know my birthday, I know their grandparents names. Also, each day you get to see the people in the lobby leave with new babies, come in about to have a baby, or come down stairs to tell the families. Some have had babies in the valet area even. Then in the NICUyou meet other parents and hear the stories of heartbreak and ones of happiness. I am just an awe over the whole experience.

Today we had training on how to operate the oxygen tank and monitor that Katie will come home on. It is precautionary stuff. She will probably be on ot for a month. It is another blessing in disguise. Granted, it seems scary to most but parents can sleep better with it b/c it will alert us to any problems. However, it sounds like the Titanic's horn. No joke. I think the neighbors will know if we have a problem even!

We survived taking both boys to the pediatrician. YOu will have to pardon me if you don't see me for awhile. The pediatrician told us not to have lots of people over, esp kids 4 and under (RSV season). The babies technically arn't even supposed to be born yet (Dec. 8) so he wants us to avoidexposure and all.

We have had the boys home for about a week now. It is going well. The hardest part is lack of sleep. I pump every 3 hours.If you look at a breakdown:
*Pumping takes 1/2 hour so thats about 4 hours of your day right there. More if you include washing the parts.
*Feeding the boys takes up to 45 minutes every 3 to 4 hours now so That's about 8 hours.
*Diaper changes. I'm a freak, I like the diaper changes (except if I have to wake p to do them- that's rough). Not to mentionthe outfit change that usually accompanies any oopsies. Then factor in the ointments you have to put on the babies.
*Then you have to factor in the picture taking and uploading to keep the grandparents happy!
That alone is 12 hours or 1/2 my day
It would be sooo easy if we didn't require sleep, if only we required a regeneration chamber like 7 of 9...
So far it is all about organization and schedules.
I am rambling. xoxoxo

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sounds like a great learning experience. And so awesome that you are leaving the NICU with a story of happiness - not sadness! Sounds like you learned a lot of cool tips - it can make it so much easier! The lack of sleep got to me too -but by 3 months Caitln was sleeping through the night - hope you are lucky enough to have the same! I almost wish Caitlin had came home with a monitor to tell us if something was wrong - I used to sit in bed and watch her breath in the bassinet worrying about every little thing! Supposedly the pumping and feeding speeds up dramatically over time so that should help! FYI "Shout Advance Spray Gel" is the most awesome spot cleaner for the baby clothes - gets out everything! Congrats! We love seeing the photos and the blog posts - we were in the same boat all the grandparents wanted the daily updates!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Tamelasr said...

You are the perpetual student "Dr Jill" - You love life (and learning)! You're also very organized and schedule oriented; you and Chaz (and your entourage) will handle everything with ease. Besides that, I love it when you ramble. The babies are gorgeous; I enjoy the photos too. xxoo

11:17 AM  
Blogger KickYourHaas said...

OMG...you did just make a Star Trek reference in that post, didn't you?

5:43 PM  
Blogger ugottalovemonie said...

I'm so happy that you guys are doing well and that all the babies will be home soon.Happy Birthday!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Damn YaNCkee said...

First of all..XOXOX! That's because I am so incredibly happy for you and Charles, and your wonderful, sweet babies. I really wish I were there to enjoy this time with you. Yeah, the NICU sounds like it was a great experience all around, and YES...the Shout rocks. It's the only thing I ever found that got stains out of baby clothes.

I am thrilled Charlie, Will, and Katie are all going to be home with you and together. My favorite pictures are of the babies snuggled together. It's the most pure and beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Thanks again for sharing here...

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home