Dr. Jeeeol

It is the start of a new chapter. Me, my husband, and our two boys want some babies!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I am addicted to school and don't know how to stop going (It's free). I am sooo ready to start a family with my husband and am counting down the days till it happens.I currently have two boys (age 7 and 4)who dance in backwards circles at the site of a leash.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech

What a horrible tragedy yesterday.
I will be curious to hear what new higher ed safety policies will arise after this.

I think the school is getting a lot of heat over not doing a lock down or blaring sirens after the two 7:15am shootings. However- think about it:
1. 2 people dead in a dorm does sound like a domestic disturbance love triangle of sorts. It seemed like they were going to be searching for the 3rd person in a triangle.
2. At 7:15am- most essential personnel are not even on campus yet (actually- that is when I wake up to be here at 8!). And if I had to look at my office, most don't show up till 8:30 or 9. The 2nd shootings had not happened yet.

There are too many 'what ifs.' What if it were like the Kent state shootings and you hit a siren and everyone ran out- that could have been open target range for a crazy. One would think it is safer to be in your class.
Either way. The story sucks. Those poor families.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I agree. This culture/media savors finding someone to tear down. Minutes after the university announces 33 people dead, they are bombarded with ridiculous questions and called out for not "responding more quickly". Sadly, are we not even shocked anymore at tragedy like this? Initial responders on the news shows are lawyers, judges and pundits. What does that say about us?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home